Recently a textbook review committee consisting of Hinduphobic and leftist scholars in California came out with a number of recommendations (pdf) denigrating India and Indian civilization. Thanks to the efforts of Professor Vamsee Juluri at UCSF, a number of objectionable recommentations were rejected finally. The whole episode is detailed at scholarsforpeople.org.
This episode generated a lot of press and helped educate a number of NRIs. A petition titled Don’t Replace “India” with “South Asia” in California History Social Science Frameworks recieved over 24,000 signatures.
Below is the list of committe members for you to investigate if they ought to be Red Flagged! Note the impressive academic titles. I suspect Sheldon Pollock is in good company!
Members of California Textbook review committe:
- Shailaja Paik, Assistant Professor of South Asian History at the University of Cincinnati, OH
- Ramnarayan Rawat, Professor of History at the University of Delaware
- Sudipta Sen, professor of History at the University of California, Davis
- Banu Subramaniam, Professor of Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Thomas R. Trautmann, Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Michigan
- Kamala Visweswaran, Professor of Ethnic Studies at the University of California, San Diego
- Rita P. Wright, Professor of Anthropology at the New York University, and a member of its Center for Human Origins
- Chris Chekuri, Associate Professor in the History Department at San Francisco State University
- Shahzad Bashir, Lysbeth Warren Anderson Professor in Islamic Studies in the Department of Religious Studies Stanford University
- Robert Goldman, Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor of South and Southeast Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley
- Stephanie Jamison, Distinguished Professor of Asian Languages and Cultures and of Indo-European Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Jonathan Mark Kenoyer, Professor of Anthropology at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Gurinder Singh Mann, former holder of Kundan Kaur Kapany Chair in Sikh Studies and Professor Emeritus at the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Projit B Mukarji, Meyerson Assistant Professor of History & Sociology of Science at the University of Pennsylvania
- Vijaya Nagarajan, Associate Professor in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of San Francisco
Hindu American Foundation, which has been spearheading the cause of cleaning of California school textbooks, recently created a petition in preparation for a review meeting. After 10 years, they made some progress recently.
As a result of this success, the below images will no longer be in the textbooks. Take a look. This is year 2017. It took 10 years to get these outrageous depictions out of the books. That too in California which boasts of the clout of Indian-origin CEOs. Perfect example of the apathy and lack of unity among Hindus. On the one hand they like to think of themselves as the new ‘Jews’ of America, but they could not be bothered to use their influence for this issue.
Nevertheless, congrats to HAF. Finally there is a precedence for Indian communities in other states to follow.